NC custodian wins $400,000 lottery prize
RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCT) — A Greenville custodian won $400,000 with a lottery scratch-off ticket.
Cecil Goddard Jr. said he plans to buy his dream home with the money.
“My girlfriend and I want to get a house and a piece of land,” Goddard said. “It’s such a blessing to be able to finally do this.”
The custodian’s good fortune happened when he stopped by Sam’s Jiffy Mart on Memorial Drive in Greenville and got a $5 Big Win scratch-off ticket.
“At first I was scared,” Goddard said. “My heart was pumping so fast! I kept thinking, ‘This can’t be right, something must be wrong.’”
Goddard claimed his prize Friday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. After required state and federal tax withholdings, he took home $278,005.
Big Win launched earlier this month with four top prizes of $400,000. Two top prizes remain.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- NATIONALLY-WANTED ‘CHAMELEON BEARD BANDIT’ HIT 2 NC BANKS, FBI SAYS
- TWIN SISTER MOURNS BROTHER AND HIS WIFE WHO DIED IN WAYNE COUNTY FIRE
- STRING OF INDECENT EXPOSURES REPORTED NEAR CAMERON VILLAGE
- SENATE VOTE FAILS AGAINST BILL PREVENTING GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN
- NC OFFICIALS HOPE NEW TECHNOLOGY CAN DETECT WRONG-WAY DRIVERS