Category Archives: Local News

Images released of driver who dragged Cary officer across parking lot, police say

CARY, N.C. (WNCN) — Cary police released images Friday night of a man they say dragged a police officer across a parking lot earlier this week.

Images from Cary police.

The officer had responded to a trespassing call at the Circle K at 3505 Kildaire Farm Road and was speaking to a driver, according to officials.

“During the encounter, the male placed his SUV in reverse, dragging the officer through the parking lot,” officials wrote.

The officer was treated for his injuries and released from the hospital. The driver got away.

On Friday, town officials renewed their call for information on the driver. He’s a 25- to 30-year-old man, police say. He was driving a white Ford Expedition SUV with a non-functioning left tail light and damage to the right front corner panel, according to investigators.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

In images released Friday night, the suspect appears to purchase something inside the Circle K before the incident.

Anyone with information is urged to call Cary police at (919) 469-4012 or report information anonymously through Cary Crime Stoppers at (919) 469-4012.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News

NC officials hope new technology can detect wrong-way drivers

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Raleigh police are still investigating a wrong way crash on Interstate 40 that killed two people and sent two others to the hospital late Thursday night.

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS FROM THURSDAY NIGHT’S DEADLY CRASH

Officials said the driver of a Honda Civic was headed eastbound in the westbound lanes near Wade Avenue and caused the crash.

According to police, they received two 911 calls.

“It looked like he might have hit someone head-on,” a caller told the dispatcher in the second one.

Police told CBS North Carolina that two people in the Civic died and two others in it were rushed to WakeMed.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

The North Carolina Department of Transportation said between 2000 and 2016 there were 507 wrong-way driver crashes statewide with a total of 145 fatalities.

Nearly half of them were alcohol-related.

Drivers are not surprised.

“Not at all,” Will Linthicum of Raleigh said.

“Yeah, I figured that. Yeah, that’s sad though,” Sabrina Toomer of Angier said.

In all, NCDOT said wrong-way crashes account for .2 percent of all crashes,

Still, the North Carolina Turnpike Authority is being proactive. In March, they’ll start testing upgrades on the Triangle Expressway.

They’ll rely on existing sensors on the ramps to determine if a driver is going the wrong way. Then signs will light up to alert that driver. Those sensors will also alert authorities.

“We picked that project — and that location is it’s our most advanced technology facility — to look at other ways that we can respond more rapidly to detecting and actively engaging a wrong way driver,” James Trogdon III, the North Carolina Transportation Secretary said.

The NCDOT said there’s no surefire way to stop drivers who are impaired from going the wrong way, but they’re hoping the new technology will help.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News

Twin sister mourns brother and his wife who died in Wayne County fire

GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — An elderly Wayne County couple died Friday morning when their mobile home caught fire.

CLICK TO VIEW 10 PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE

Faye Ferrell Smith said her twin brother Ray Ferrell and his wife, Mary Francis Ferrell, lived in the mobile home on U.S. Highway 70, about two miles outside of Goldsboro.

Smith said her brother was 20 minutes older. They celebrated their 75th birthdays together last year.

“I love him, and I’m going to miss him, especially in a few more days when it’s our birthday and I can’t call him and tell him ‘happy birthday’,” Smith said.

“We’d have a bet who was going to call who on the birthday first, me or him. He (usually) did. I was in and out with my four young’uns, and he didn’t have but two, so he’d always, most of the time, call me first.”

Smith said her brother had battled cancer and had ongoing health issues. She said Ray and Mary Francis also dealt with a lot of loss, including the deaths of their daughters as well as a grandson.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

A niece noted that the Ferrell’s kept the ashes of their deceased loved ones in urns at the home. Now those memorials are lost in the ashes of the home.

Wayne County Fire Marshal Bryan Taylor said the emergency call came in just after 9 a.m. Firefighters from the Rosewood, Oakland, and Belfast fire departments brought more than a half-dozen engines and pumper trucks to the scene.

“They began extinguishing the fire and started a primary search. Upon doing that, they discovered two bodies, one at the front door and one at the back door,” Taylor said.

The State Bureau of Investigation sent agents to the home, which is standard procedure in fatal fires. Taylor said the North Carolina State Fire Marshal’s Office also sent a representative, and Wayne County Sheriff Larry Pierce and several deputies were on site Friday afternoon.

Firefighters used motorized saws to remove panels of the metal roof and siding from the middle of the mobile home.

“This is an older mobile home, of course, it’s tin on top, and the tin of the roof had collapsed. The tin was down on the floor level. We had the fire department to help us get that off so we would have access to the floor, to make it a safer working environment for us (the investigators),” Taylor said.

The damage to the home was substantial, which one investigator said can make it more challenging to determine a cause.

Family members said Ray Ferrell was on oxygen, and the Wayne County Fire Marshal confirmed there were some oxygen tanks on the porch but he could not comment if they may have been involved in the fire.

Faye Smith said her faith will help her through this difficult time.

“The good Lord, that’s the only way I can make it, the only way,” Smith said.

She said her children have also helped her through a lot.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News

‘Please help me find my daughter:’ NC mom pleads for info about missing 16-year-old

WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) — A teenager’s family and the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office are asking for the public’s help in locating a teenager that has been missing since Wednesday.

According to the sheriff’s office, 16-year-old Alexandria “Allie” Adams was last seen in the 2700 block of Castle Hayne Road.

Her parents said they last saw Allie as she was getting on the school bus Wednesday morning.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

“Wilmington and surrounding area: Please help me find my daughter,” pleaded Allie’s mother, Joy Brown.

Allie is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs approximately 140 pounds. She was last seen wearing a light blue hoodie, light blue leggings, gray boots, a pink book bag and a New Hanover High School visor.

According to Allie’s parents, she has mental illness, including bipolar disorder, and has not taken her medication since she went missing.

“This was our biggest fear, is that she was going to disappear,” Brown said. “She’s very easily manipulated, and she wants to fit in. … She got on the school bus to come to school. She never showed up at school.”

The sheriff’s office erroneously announced Friday morning that Adams had been located.

Friday afternoon, her parents placed flyers on public spaces with their missing daughter’s information.

Call 910-798-4260 to share any information.

Copyright 2018 WECT. All rights reserved.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News

Key Senate vote scheduled for 10 p.m. Friday to prevent shutdown

Video from the U.S. Senate of a key vote on a possible government shutdown

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has scheduled a key procedural vote Friday night on a plan to avert a government shutdown, but it’s still unclear if there are enough votes to keep the government open.

RELATED: Click here to view live video of the vote

McConnell set the vote on the proposal at 10 p.m. Sixty votes will be needed to advance the bill. Republicans only control 51 seats, so GOP leaders need Democratic votes to cross that threshold.

Two Democrats who are counting votes told CNN the proposal scheduled to be voted on does not have the votes to pass as of 7:15 p.m. ET, though those Democrats said it was possible a shorter-term deal could be cut before the 10 p.m. vote.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

On Friday afternoon, McConnell got a second and third Senate Democrat — Sen. Joe Donnelly of Indiana and later Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota — to say that they would vote to keep the government open. However, since at least two

Republicans have said they’ll vote against the measure, the Kentucky Republican still might need as many as dozen more members of the opposing party in order to pass the plan.

The House passed a measure Thursday night to continue funding the government through mid-February. President Donald Trump showed his support for that plan just hours before that vote was scheduled.

“Excellent preliminary meeting in Oval with @SenSchumer – working on solutions for Security and our great Military together with @SenateMajLdr McConnell and @SpeakerRyan. Making progress -– four-week extension would be best!” Trump tweeted Friday evening, a reference to the Republican-backed plan of funding government for the next four weeks as opposed to just a couple of days, as pitched by Democratic leaders.

With fewer than five hours until the government runs out of funding, House Republicans — who had already passed their short-term spending bill — were instructed to stay close to the Capitol.

White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney told CNN’s “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” that as efforts continue to reach an agreement, “we’re in a weekend so we have a little more flexibility here.”

On Friday evening, Trump also spoke by phone to House Speaker Paul Ryan, according to a source familiar.

Not speaking to each other: McConnell and Schumer. Three sources told CNN that the two leaders in the Senate had not spoken to each other on Friday as of 5 p.m. and have no conversations scheduled.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News

Man who died in Raleigh police custody had torn bag in stomach, report says

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A man who died in police custody earlier this month had a torn plastic bag in his stomach when he died, according to a report issued by Raleigh police.

Curtis Roeman Mangum, 33, died in the early hours of Jan. 11 after being arrested on drug charges, according to police.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

“Preliminary autopsy reports from the Medical Examiner’s Office indicate that a torn plastic bag was found inside Mr. Mangum’s stomach and the only sign of injury noted by the Medical Examiner was a small scrape on one of Mr. Mangum’s shins,” the report reads.

EARLIER: Raleigh police investigate in-custody death

In the police account, detectives working on a drug investigation asked a marked unit to pull over a car that Mangum was riding in in the 400 block of Rose Lane. Police wrote that they found a gun in the glove box and substances believed to be marijuana and cocaine on Mangum, who was not cooperative and refused to remain still in the car after the stop.

Mangum was charged with possession with intent to sell and deliver cocaine, possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

An officer left the scene with Mangum in custody at 11:10 p.m. and arrived at a police station about six minutes later, police wrote.

“Upon arriving at the South-East District Station, (Master Officer J.M. Midgette) assisted Mr. Mangum out of the back seat of his patrol vehicle. While doing so, he noticed that Mr. Mangum appeared less steady on his feet and was quieter than he had been earlier. … As he walked into the station, Officer Midgette told (a sergeant) he should call for EMS because he was concerned about Mr. Mangum,” police wrote.

EMS arrived at 11:27, per the police account. Five minutes later, Mangum walked outside, met the EMS crew and climbed onto a waiting stretcher, police write. He arrived at WakeMed at 11:53 p.m., where his condition worsened until he died at about 2:40 a.m.

A number of officers involved have been placed on administrative duty as administrative and SBI investigations take place.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News

Durham County family’s home destroyed by fire

LEBANNON, N.C. (WNCN) — A fire destroyed a family’s home in Lebanon in Durham County on Friday afternoon.

When fire crews arrived, flames were seen coming out of the roof of the home in the 6400 block of Whitt Road.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

Fire officials say no one was home when the fire started this afternoon before 5 p.m.

The neighbor who called 911 says the fire will be tough for the family.

“To lose something like this is devastating. Not only the house, but their personal belongs. I can’t imagine,” Rodney McDonald said

The family has a cat and two dogs. There’s no word on if the pets are still alive.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News

String of indecent exposures reported near Cameron Village

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Police are trying to find the man who exposed and touched himself in front of a woman walking home near Cameron Village.

A woman told police she was walking home Monday afternoon on Clark Avenue near the Rose Gardens when a man pulled up next to her in a car.

The man then pulled his pants down and started touching himself, according to police.

The woman says the man was driving an old, dirty white car and followed her slowly, making sure to keep up with her while she walked, authorities say.

“It was a shock because this is a very safe area,” said North Carolina State Student Maeve Bell, who had not heard of the reported incident. “That isn’t appropriate for anybody.”

It’s the seventh reported indecent exposure in a one-mile radius around Cameron Village in the past three months. Police have also responded to two recent “peeping tom” calls in the area.

It’s made many women who live nearby say they’ll be keeping an eye out for any suspicious activity.

“I wouldn’t expect it normally, to have to worry about that,” said Denise Rogatnick, who often shops at Cameron Village. “But now I’ll be more aware of what’s going on.”

No arrests have been made in the most recent case.

news-app- download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

...[READ MORE]   Source: WNCN Durham County News
« Older Entries