10 things to know for Wednesday
1. PROTESTS TURN VIOLENT OUTSIDE TRUMP RALLY IN NEW MEXICO
Demonstrators throw burning T-shirts, plastic bottles and other items at officers, overturn trash cans and knock down barricades; police fire pepper spray and smoke grenades.
2. AFGHAN TALIBAN NAME HAWKISH SUCCESSOR TO SLAIN LEADER
Mullah Haibatullah Akhundzada, one of Mullah Akhtar Mansour’s chief deputies, will assume the top spot. Mansour was killed Saturday when his vehicle was struck by a U.S. drone.
3. WHAT DEFENSE BILL COSBY’S LAWYERS SUGGEST THEY’LL MOUNT
Before a judge orders the entertainer to stand trial on sex assault charges, the attorneys argue that Cosby’s accuser never said no to his advances.
4. NETANYAHU LURCHES FURTHER TO THE RIGHT
As part of a deal to expand the coalition government, Avigdor Lieberman, one of Israel’s most polarizing politicians, will take over as defense minister.
5. OBAMA TAKES PARTING SHOT BEFORE LEAVING COMMUNIST VIETNAM
The president uses a light moment with a rapper to espouse free speech: